Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Meet Charly!


Meet our newest member of our family. Believe me when I say that I never ever thought I would cave to allowing a dog in our house. Seriously, I am not an animal person at all. However, one can only take so much begging before one gives in. It really was 5 against 1. Anyone want to take a guess how wanted a dog the most? That would be Andrew. I could have sworn that he told me that he disliked animals when we were dating. If I had heard otherwise, we may not have stayed together.

It all started on April Fool's Day, Andrew told the kids we were getting a puppy. The kids were so excited which made Andrew feel horrible when he said, "April Fools!". That even made me feel guilty as I was the only thing coming between them having a dog. Well, a couple of days later, Andrew's coworker brought in some puppies that she had for sale. He sent me some pictures and I admit they were pretty adorable. I told him I would give it some thought and meet the pups. The owner said that we could return the puppy if it didn't go well which made me feel lots better. Andrew promised to train the dog and do the majority of her care as well.

The Saturday before Easter, Andrew and I met the Shih Tzu puppies. The little balls of fur were so tiny and cute. Of course, all I could imagine as I held the puppy is how happy the kids would be which broke down the last of my defenses. Minutes later Andrew was paying for the puppy and we arranged to pick her up the next morning to surprise the kids on Easter.

That night I tried to get all the things I needed to prepare out home for a puppy. It is amazing how much stuff you need and the variety you have to choose from.

On Easter morning, we placed the puppy in a basket and covered her with a blanket. We called the kids down and told them that their Easter surprise was under the blanket and to lift it up. Their reaction was stunned silence. Arick got a little teary eyed and said that it was the happiest day of his life. Ella giggled and fell back onto the couch. One of those moments I will remember for the rest of my life.

It took us a day to name her as we all had our favorites. Andrew wanted to name her Ahsoka (Snips for a nickname), Arick wanted Cutie Pie, Brianna wanted Sidia, I wanted Bailey or Chloe, and Ty wanted Charly as did Maren. Charly is in honor of the youtube video "Charlie Bit Me" which has long been a favorite source of laughter in our house. In the end Charly, short for Charlotte, won.

We have had her for 9 days now and she has been wonderful so far, except of her first night home when she cried ALL night long. She is adapting well and the kids love to be with her. Maren loves her too and when she visits us, the puppy is snuggling in her arms within minutes. She has gone on lots of adventures to Gigi's house, to the soccer fields for the kids' games, to the vet, and to Petsmart. Her favorite place is either being held or being in her crate. She loves this little stuffed animal that you heat up in the microwave.


3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

That is hands down, the cutest dog I have ever laid eyes on. Your kids must be thrilled, and on another note, I LOVE your haircut. I know you cut it awhile ago, and I'm now just commenting, but I think you look beautiful!

Maren said...

I love Charly! :) She's so sweet!! Wish I had more time to devote to a lil' puppy! *sigh*

Steph said...

Charlie is very, very cute! Welcome to the world of puppyhood LOL